If you have been married for at least one year and you relationship has broken down you can get a divorce. The latest statistics published by the Office for National Statistics, released in December 2012, estimate that 42% of marriages in England and Wales end in divorce. Unfortunately the law in England and Wales needs attention. Currently in order to divorce your spouse you still need a reason which falls within one of the statutory categories. Commonly a spouse will have to plead unreasonable behaviour on the part of the other even in circumstances where a couple have simply grown apart.

This should be a relatively simple procedure provided emotions can be kept in check. The division of property is not always so simple. Often the couples that end up in court are simply unlucky enough to have a difficult issue or two. In fact the court process is most often successful and only very few cases go to a 'final hearing'.

As a directly instructed barrister I can help as much or as little as you like. It is likely to be in advising you as to an appropriate division and in the drafting of a consent order to divide your assets that I would be of most assistance. Alternatively or additionally I am able to represent you at court hearings instructed directly by you and without the intermediary of a solicitor. This may not be appropriate for all cases in which case I will recommend a good solicitor for you to engage and will be on hand to represent you on instruction from the solicitor if required.